Gerard J. Sweeney is a partner in the firm, with his practice concentrating in the areas of estates and election law. He has been admitted to practice law in the State of New York since 1979 and is a member of the Queens County Bar Association. He is also admitted to the Federal District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts. His practice is devoted almost exclusively to estate administration and contested estate matters.
Mr. Sweeney has appeared on behalf of the estate fiduciary on real estate transactions; appellate matters; foreclosure and forfeiture proceedings; collection matters; kinship matters; negligence and wrongful death matters; as well as compromise work necessary to resolve said cases.
As the former Law Chairman of the Queens County Democratic Organization, Mr. Sweeney is an expert in Election Law having successfully litigated election cases at the trial court and appellate level.
Mr. Sweeney has lectured on the subject of Election Law and Surrogate’s Law for the Queens County Bar Association.
- New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1979
- Surrogate’s Court – What every personal injury attorney should know about Surrogate’s Court, New York State Bar Association: Trial Lawyers Section, January 27, 2010
- Hot Topics in Estates Practice, Queens County Bar Association, June 12, 2009
- Probate & Will Execution, Queens County Bar Association, June 13, 2008
- Guardian Ad Litem OCA & CLE Approved Mandatory Training, Queens County Bar Association, May 11, 2007
- Fiduciary Responsibility in the Age of Accountability, Queens County Bar Association, May 13, 2005
- Trial Practice in Surrogate’s Court, Queens County Bar Association, May 17, 2004
- Guardian Ad Litem Training, Queens County Bar Association, May 21, 2003
- The Role of the Guardian Ad Litems and the Public Administrator in Surrogate’s Court Proceedings, Queens County Bar Association, April 20, 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Queens County Bar Association, 1979 – Present
- New York State Bar Association, 1979 – Present